ICC World Cup Schedule: Hosts India will enter the 2023 World Cup as the favorites and will kick off their campaign against five-time champions Australia in Chennai. The last time this tournament took place in the Indian sub-continent, with India, Sri Lanka, and Bangladesh hosting, India emerged victorious under the leadership of MS Dhoni, ending a 28-year trophy drought.
This time, with Rohit Sharma as captain, fans have similar expectations. The Men in Blue are in exceptional form, having won the Asia Cup 2023 and performing impressively in a three-match ODI series against Australia, which they won 2-1. Another positive factor for India is that players making a comeback into the team are in good form and have had ample game time leading up to the prestigious event.
However, the World Cup is a lengthy tournament, and Rohit’s team will compete in a round-robin league format. They will play matches at nine different venues against the other nine teams in the tournament. To qualify for the semi-finals, the hosts must finish in the top four, following a format similar to that of the 2019 World Cup where India lost to New Zealand in the semi-finals in Manchester.
Let’s take a look at India’s World Cup fixtures:
- October 8: India vs. Australia in Chennai at 2 pm
- October 11: India vs. Afghanistan in New Delhi at 2 pm
- October 14: India vs. Pakistan in Ahmedabad at 2 pm
- October 19: India vs. Bangladesh in Pune at 2 pm
- October 22: India vs. New Zealand in Dharamsala at 2 pm
- October 29: India vs. England in Lucknow at 2 pm
- November 2: India vs. Sri Lanka in Mumbai at 2 pm
- November 5: India vs. South Africa in Kolkata at 2 pm
- November 11: India vs. Netherlands in Bengaluru at 2 pm